POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's that time again : Re: The question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The question
From: Darren New
Date: 4 May 2012 00:39:53
Message: <4fa35d99$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/3/2012 8:45, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 03 May 2012 09:46:47 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>
>>   turn the air conditioning on! ;-)
>
> Hmm, wet + cold = hypothermia.

I once got caught in a Rain Storm. A friend and I road-tripped from
Philadelphia to Washington DC. (About a 3-hour drive, for our foreign
friends.) We parked on the street, went and looked at things, and by the
time it was time to head home, it was Raining. With a capital R. I mean, we
were looking for the car, and we couldn't find it, because there was quite
literally so much water in the air between head height and street-sign
height that one could not read the signs. We couldn't have been more wet had
we been thrown a swimming pool. Our underwear was soaked. We stopped
bothering to step over rain gutters because our shoes couldn't possibly get
wetter.

After wandering about 20 minutes in this, we found the car. A big old
Lincoln, like they made when gas was $0.35/gallon. Now, this was my mom's
car at the time, which means my dad, the auto mechanic, had been maintaining
it. Which means that when the heater switch broke, he installed a light
switch in its place. There was no temperature knob. The heat was on, or off.
Which meant that the interior of the car was about 90 degrees (that's 33C to
the rest of you) in about 5 minutes. Toasty!

I still believe I'm alive today, 30 years later, due to that light switch
under the dashboard. My friend still mentions it occasionally to this day.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"