POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 May 2012 02:18:52
Message: <4fa2234c$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/2/2012 6:29 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/30/2012 19:10, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> The problem, sadly, is there is a whole damn host of "data" that isn't on
>> the "data" drive. Everything from specific settings for games, to your
>> firefox profile, etc.
>
> That's why you back up that, too, to your data drive, on a regular basis.
>
> If you have a hard drive crash so severe that you can recover no files
> off your boot drive, I think the effort of recreating your firefox
> profile or configuring your game's video settings is probably pretty low
> on the list, tho, honestly.

Everything is recoverable, short of thermiting the drive, its just
working out how, and how much you are willing to spend to get it back.
But, the problem is that things like which plugins are installed in it
are part of the data. I set up their new "sync" feature, since I knew I
would be moving over, and wanted to find a way to manage it easier, but
it seemed to only capture the ones installed via their site, not ones I
had to update myself (to make them work because there is no new version,
but it still works with the new browser). So, nearly all of them are
missing (since for one reason or another they didn't qualify for
uploading to the sync).

So, yeah, in principle, you are right, you have bigger problems in that
case. In my case.. I can now recover them. 8GB at the time, using thumb
drives, if I have to, but I can't figure out why I can't connect to the
Windows share (tried several ways), with results ranging from "server
not responding" to "no such directory".. and several other things that
just get bloody annoying. I need a better techie than I am to solve
this, or just to stop being lazy and pull the damn drives. lol

>> Vista and 7 go one step more insane here, and symbolically link
>> Documents,
>> to My Documents,
>
> Other way around, actually.

Ugh.. Either way, its nuts.