POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Apr 2012 22:10:24
Message: <4f9f4610$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/29/2012 1:00 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 28/04/2012 10:15 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 4/28/2012 13:52, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>> Hmm. Will have to remember that, once I get all the crap onto this
>>> one, and
>>> the "backup" drive empty.
>>
>> FWIW, if you make two partitions, one for bootable stuff and one for
>> data, it's much more efficient. Put Steam apps and vacation pics and
>> stuff like that on a non-bootable drive, or you wind up making 2 copies
>> of all that, the backup copy and the zip-file copy. (Indeed, exclude
>> stuff you can trivially replace, like the steam apps.)
>>

> Not only that, if you have to reinstall Windows. Your data disc will not
> be reformatted.

The problem, sadly, is there is a whole damn host of "data" that isn't
on the "data" drive. Everything from specific settings for games, to
your firefox profile, etc. Short of, before installing a damn thing,
redirecting all that shit to the data drive, you are SOL if it does get
wiped. And, the reason I say "before" adding anything is because a few
applications are damn stupid, and only ask once for the location of
things like the documents directory, then insist on storing that
location permanently in the registry. So, if you install one of those,
*then* you move the directory, the damn things can't figure out what
happened. Stupid "app bar" thing which I mostly only used to direct add
some Coca Cola codes with, made that mistake. It would track where all
its apps where, individually, but if you asked it to "consolidate" all
installed apps, it would try to do that to the location where My
Documents "used to be", not where it was now. From my understanding
Vista and 7 go one step more insane here, and symbolically link
Documents, to My Documents, and who the hell knows what else, which has
got to really fowl things in some rare cases. (Or even normal ones, from
some of what I have read). lol