POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Apr 2012 22:03:55
Message: <4f9f448b$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/28/2012 2:15 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/28/2012 13:52, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Hmm. Will have to remember that, once I get all the crap onto this
>> one, and
>> the "backup" drive empty.
>
> FWIW, if you make two partitions, one for bootable stuff and one for
> data, it's much more efficient. Put Steam apps and vacation pics and
> stuff like that on a non-bootable drive, or you wind up making 2 copies
> of all that, the backup copy and the zip-file copy. (Indeed, exclude
> stuff you can trivially replace, like the steam apps.)

Well, other than the stuff that I had to install after, because they
hadn't shipped it yet, the drive was already "single partition". The old
machine I made a small one, but way too small, and discovered that the
damn OS wanted to cram everything, including the kitchen sink, into it,
even after redirecting the documents to my "data" partition on that one.
I really made a mess of the damn thing, so bad that half the drive was
unusable (linux I didn't use, and which ones like ext3, or something, on
an LVM, so even half the damn live CDs won't recognize/remove it, and so on.

Now, I am trying to use, I guess, Samba? to just link the one machine to
the other, via file hosting, so I don't have to swap out any drives for
now. Think I may have that one figured,  but I need to use the network
IP instead of the machine name, then I can dump each drive to the /ghost
directory I created on the new one, and fish out what I need, then move
on to the next one. If not, its back to doing it the annoying way. lol