POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spoken languages in the past : Re: Spoken languages in the past Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spoken languages in the past
From: Stephen
Date: 29 Apr 2012 06:07:31
Message: <4f9d12e3$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/04/2012 10:18 AM, Warp wrote:
> Stephen<mcavoys_at@aoldotcom>  wrote:
>> Middle English (between the late 11th and the late 15th century) can be
>> found in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales.
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU
>
>    Sounds a bit Scottish.

It does to my ears too. Old Scots, at least the West Coast variety
sounds similar. But then it is descended from Middle English.
We studded Chaucer at school and I was never able to make heads or tails
of it. A few years ago a friend recited a passage using a broad Scots
accent. It suddenly became clear almost like listening to a Burn poem.

But still none of this answers your question?
How can we know how languages, even our own
languages, were spoken before the earliest surviving audio recordings?
Back then there weren't any meticulous (if any) pronunciation guides
for any language.

I don't know.

--
Regards