POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Apr 2012 17:12:57
Message: <4f9c5d59$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/28/2012 11:38, andrel wrote:
> IIRC because programs under windows dump a lot of unnecessary data in the
> registry, restoring from a backup will take more than a day (if it ever
> completes, we have never waited more than a weekend)

How in the world would it take more than a day? You're just copying a file.
Windows7 for example seems to restore files at pretty much disk-transfer
speed. I can do an image backup of my 40G system partition in about 15 or 20
minutes, tops, and restore just as easily.

> According to my brother there are backups of the registry in System Volume
> Information directory, IIRC also under a different name than the actual
> registry files, just to make life easier.

The only backup I know of is in C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack

> I can not access that dir, I don't have permission (or my own machine at
> home that is). You need to boot from a live-cd or connect the c-drive as a
> secondary drive to another machine to have access.

Again, depends on the OS. But yes, I think you're probably right on that
one. It's really more a directory managed by the file system than a
protected directory.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"