POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Apr 2012 16:52:33
Message: <4f9c5891$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/28/2012 9:50 AM, Darren New wrote:
>> Practical to me means that at least 2 out of the 3 problem above are
>> removed
>> from the list of risks (with the, "it dies if the machine does", being
>> one
>> of the two in any case).
>
> I think you have an implicit #4 there, which is "it's cheap". Because
> all those problems are pretty easy to solve with a bit of money thrown
> at the problem.

This has been on of those, I supposed "quarters" would be the proper
term, where it seems like everything I touch breaks, so.. throwing money
at the problem hasn't been high on my list of things I want to be doing. lol

>> There are a lot of poor backup solutions, and many of them come with
>> idiot
>> problems, like the OS whining about not letting you copy certain
>> files, to
>> back them up, which make full restoration a problem, even without the
>> other
>> issues above.
>
> Sure. But say you have Win7. You buy a USB drive, and plug it in. The
> autoplay pops up, and says "Hey, you want to use this as a backup
> drive?" You say yes. It spins around for an hour. It says "OK, all
> done." You put it in the safe.
>
> It also offers to make a bootable CD to use in case of disaster to
> restore what it just made. Make one of those, and put it in the safe also.

Hmm. Will have to remember that, once I get all the crap onto this one,
and the "backup" drive empty.