POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teach yourself C++ in 21 days : Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Apr 2012 12:43:47
Message: <4f9c1e43$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/28/2012 2:56, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> You have to tell the compiler whether or not you consider the C function to
> be "pure" or not. Obviously, you can lie. Don't do that.

Fair enough.

>> And can you do that without telling the
>> caller whether they're calling C or compiled Haskell?
>
> Does sort() know what it's calling?

I don't know. That's why I'm asking. :-)

>> Heck, even a regular expression match isn't functional in .NET.
>
> Probably. In fact, I doubt much of the .NET libraries are. So you would
> probably end up using existing Haskell libraries for anything except actual
> I/O - the thing that .NET is good at.

I think .NET is good at more than just I/O. :-) Actually, I don't think .NET
is any better at I/O that anything else on Windows is.

>> And that's the kind of incompatibility I'm saying makes .NET much less
>> useful.
>
> Certainly it makes it less useful, yes. Whether it makes it "not worth it at
> all" is more open to debate.

It breaks a fundamental tenet of .NET, which is that it doesn't matter what
language the caller is written in vs the callee. MS saying that "yes, this
.NET library works, but only if you call it from Haskell and not C# or VB or
F#" would not fly well.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"