POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Apr 2012 07:12:16
Message: <4f9bd090$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/24/2012 10:30 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> there was never any practical way to do a complete backup.
>
> If you buy a USB drive, it's pretty trivial. You might have to cough up
> $100 for one tho.
>
> Tell me what system you have, and I'll tell you how to do it. I never
> work on a system I haven't already backed up, wiped, and restored at
> least once.

Yeah, have an external USB drive, which I got due to running out of
space on the other two drives. Its just one of those things.. 1) its the
same sort of media, to similarly volatile, 2) unless it stays connected,
and automatic backups happen, its not a certain solution, 3) if you do
keep in connected, to do that, then some of the stuff that can kill the
main drive *will* also kill the backup (like power surges).

Practical to me means that at least 2 out of the 3 problem above are
removed from the list of risks (with the, "it dies if the machine does",
being one of the two in any case).

There are a lot of poor backup solutions, and many of them come with
idiot problems, like the OS whining about not letting you copy certain
files, to back them up, which make full restoration a problem, even
without the other issues above.