POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm in the mood for monads : Re: High theory Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High theory
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 25 Apr 2012 17:12:24
Message: <4f9868b8$1@news.povray.org>
>> There is commutativity for the identity element, but it is not needed to
>> be commutative.
>
> A monoid is /defined as/ having a two-sided identity.

I had hoped to prove that the associativity of # implies the
two-sidedness of any identity element. Instead, somebody showed me a
counter-example:

If we define # as

   ∀ x, y ∈ S, x # y = y

then every element of S is trivially a left-identity, and no
right-identity exists. Miraculously, this operator is also associative:

   x # y # z
   (x # y) # z = y # z = z
   x # (y # z) = x # z = z

So it seems it /is/ perfectly possible for a semigroup to have one or
more one-sided inverses - it's just that they all have to be /the same/
side. A monoid, on the other hand, is /defined as/ having a two-sided
inverse, as I originally asserted.