POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arg!! : Re: Arg!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arg!!
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 25 Apr 2012 12:07:17
Message: <4f982135$1@news.povray.org>
Le 25/04/2012 14:15, Warp nous fit lire :
>> UNIX has rsync. Windows has the backup and restore tool. MacOS has time
>> machine. Which one is the problem?
>
>   Time Machine is the only one that's actually easy to use and fully
> automatic, and has a good file browser for backed files...

Unix rsync is just fine, using an external usb drive.

It can be interrupted & restarted, it does not copy again files already
copied (default: check timestamp & size; checksum can be also used), and
you can browse with usual program the copy.
Many option also to handle cumulative backup.

My simple copy is : rsync -av /original/location/ /media/storage/usbdisk

No need to compress for a local transfer, and I often do not feel the
need for a checksum (but adding -c can be useful)

When rsync is not available, but ftp is, the clear winner is lftp.
But you have to be very careful about its tunning: a mirroring in the
wrong direction might quickly deletes a waste amount of data.