POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm in the mood for monads : Re: Living in a box Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Living in a box
From: Warp
Date: 22 Apr 2012 06:53:56
Message: <4f93e344@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> The overloading (?) of << and >> is already enough trauma when dealing
> with streams... or not.

> c = ceo << eke ;
> d = kaz << ekk ;

> one is a shift operation, the other is write in a stream... can you say
> which one ?

  People keep repeating that, and there's never any substance to the claim.

  I have been programming in C++ both as a hobby and professionally for
over 15 years now, and I have yet to encounter a piece of code where it's
confusing which operation is being performed.

> (and either c is an integer or a stream...)

  That's an especially dishonest example because it won't actually compile
if c is a stream because streams are not assignable.

--
                                                          - Warp