POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm in the mood for monads : Re: I'm in the mood for monads Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm in the mood for monads
From: Warp
Date: 22 Apr 2012 06:40:01
Message: <4f93e001@news.povray.org>
> > For instance,
> > I still don't understand what currying *really* is about, and every time
> > I try to suggest "is like this?" the answer is "not really".

> 1. You can take a 5-argument function, pass it 2 argument, and get a
> 3-argument function as the result.

  But that's the thing: It sounds so trivial as to defy sense. Why give
a particular name to such a trivial thing? It's like calling the act of
taking a 3-dimensional vector and expanding it to a 4-dimensional one
"potatoing", or taking two integers and adding them together "bananaing",
or taking a class and adding another class as its member "orangeing".
Why give an obscure name to such a trivial operation?

  But then when one starts asking questions like "so it's like giving
default values to function parameters?" or "so it's like writing another
function with less parameters that calls the first function by giving it
some default values as the rest of the parameters?", the answer is something
like "not really".

--
                                                          - Warp