POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teach yourself C++ in 21 days : Re: Days 1-5 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Days 1-5
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 21 Apr 2012 14:30:50
Message: <4f92fcda@news.povray.org>
> At least on machines designed to be programmed in assembler, one can
> generally put a useful and informative comment on pretty much every line.

I haven't yet seen an assembler where you /can't/ stick comments
anywhere you want to. That /still/ doesn't mean I want the comments to
out-number the actual code.

>> You'd expect part of the language's basic syntax to be, you know...
>> part of
>> the language's basic syntax. But it isn't. It's just a regular operator,
>> which means you can use it in places where you shouldn't be putting
>> random
>> commas, and that makes it do strange stuff. (And, being C, this isn't
>> checked in any way.)
>
> Why would you put randomg *anything* in? This isn't a sonnet. It's
> computer code. Why would you put random commas in any more than you put
> random quote marks in?

Ever heard of something called a "mistake"? Perhaps you don't make
those, but I do sometimes. And it's worrying to know that if I do, the
compiler isn't going to say "oh, you made a mistake", it's just going to
generate code that does something bizarre.

> Plus, "void" is a relatively recent development.

This is The Real WTF.