POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Git : Re: Git Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Git
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Apr 2012 23:28:23
Message: <4f922957$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/20/2012 1:14, Invisible wrote:
>> In practice, it's usually not that hard, because the likelihood that you
>> need to break 25 separate classes is low if you've designed your code
>> decently.
>
> Apparently having 25 token classes is "not designing your code decently"
> then...

Note that if what you're changing is mindless, then sure, make lots of
changes. If you're (for example) renaming a routine inherited by 25 classes
or something, sure.

If you have to spend an hour on each one thinking how to fix it, chances are
you're either making too big a change, or your design was wrong to start
with. (Of course, fixing that design implies breaking 25 classes, so...)

>> That's part of it, but you still have to merge it back in, which is
>> going to be a mess of 25 people have been working on the 25 classes
>> you've been changing.
>
> Isn't that why you /talk to/ the other developers?

Sure. If you can get people to stop development on those things for however
long it takes you to fix them, that works. Sometimes that's not feasible.
Especially if it's live production code.

> I'm pretty sure that without communication, any development effort is doomed
> to end in failure. Multiple people developing the same code, fixing the same
> bugs different ways, and generally getting in each other's way.

Sure. But if those 25 classes are in (say) 25 different projects run by 25
different groups, you're going to get in their way. If you're changing the
parser library, and you affect everyone in your 15,000-developer company
that uses that parser library, you're going to have a world of trouble
getting everyone to stop.

>> Tk is still, in many ways, stuck in the 80's of X-Windows development.
> Yeah, I never did like Tk. :-P

It has always been ugly, yes. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)