POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teach yourself C++ in 21 days : Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Apr 2012 10:47:30
Message: <4f917702$1@news.povray.org>
>> To tell you the truth, I don't even /like/ Make all that much. (I think
>> it's the tab characters. Or the slightly clunky way it deals with
>> targets that aren't files.) I only really use it for building C, because
>> it's either that or work out how to invoke the compiler manually...
>>
>> But as I say, a tiny amount of shell scripting will automate most tasks,
>> without the need for Make.
>
> If you like reinventing the wheel... ;)

Not so much "reinventing the wheel". More like "I don't actually need
the full power of Make".

>> That works great - /until/ your command history has more than one
>> command in it. E.g., if you use the same window to run the compiler, run
>> the main program, and control your SCM. Then you end up jabbing up-arrow
>> endlessly, or executing the wrong command, or both. Very annoying.
>
> You know you can open more than one command promt.

...which just changes the problem from "hitting the up arrow the right
number of times" to "hitting Alt+Tab the right number of times".

>> (I wonder why nobody has yet thought of making an editor where you can
>> add buttons to the toolbar and kind arbitrary commands to them? You
>> could even give them keyboard shortcuts...)
>
> Dare I say it? Oh... sure... why not...
>
> Emacs does it. ;)

Yeah, but... WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? >_<

>>> As mentioned previously, ALT-TAB. Much faster.
>>
>> And if in the middle of your coding session, you quickly switch to your
>> email client to check something, next time you try to use Alt+Tab, it
>> takes you to the wrong window.
>
> Keep you thumb on ALT, and hit TAB repeatedly until you get to the right
> application.

I know that. It's still more fiddly and error-prone than just jabbing a
button that always does the same thing, regardless of which application
window you used most recently.

>> (It becomes even more fun when what you're working on involves more
>> windows.
>
> Mastering the ALT-TAB
> combo is much, much, much, faster than using the mouse to switch apps
> from the task bar.

It depends how far back in the stack you need to cycle. At some point,
the mouse becomes faster.

> Not to mention a lot cheaper than a dozen
> occupational therapy sessions due to tendinitis or carpal tunnel syndrome.

Nobody gets tendinitis just from using a mouse.

You /might/ get tendinitis from working on a production line, executing
the exact same pick up, solder, put down movements eight times per
minute for hours on end without stopping for so much as twenty seconds
for a break. (Yes, I've tried it.) You don't get it just from operating
a computer normally. Not if you have sane desk height, etc.