POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Git : Re: Git Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Git
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Apr 2012 04:14:42
Message: <4f911af2$1@news.povray.org>
>>> So garbage collect it! The solution is trivial. Read the "git gc" page.
>>
>> That's a pretty obscure thing to need to look up just to fix an obvious
>> problem.
>
> Only if having a dangling commit bothers you.

Having stuff that's incorrectly labelled bothers me, yes. That's why I
amended it in the first place. :-P

> Don't break the old code before the new code works.

>> Damn. Way to make a complex change that much more complex. o_O
>
> Welcome to working with lots of other people on the same project. Why do
> you think people complain about the problems of legacy code?
>
> In practice, it's usually not that hard, because the likelihood that you
> need to break 25 separate classes is low if you've designed your code
> decently.

Apparently having 25 token classes is "not designing your code decently"
then...

>> Isn't that why you create a new branch for breaking changes?
>
> That's part of it, but you still have to merge it back in, which is
> going to be a mess of 25 people have been working on the 25 classes
> you've been changing.

Isn't that why you /talk to/ the other developers?

I'm pretty sure that without communication, any development effort is
doomed to end in failure. Multiple people developing the same code,
fixing the same bugs different ways, and generally getting in each
other's way.

>> Sure. This still doesn't help me find a way out of Vi without
>> rebooting the VM.
>
> Use ":q!" to exit vi. Then set your EDITOR variable for next time.
>
> Really? You couldn't figure out google enough to figure out how to get
> out of VI?

Gotta work out that it's Vi first. :-P It's not like it says "Vi" on it.

> Tk is still, in many ways, stuck in the 80's of X-Windows development.

Yeah, I never did like Tk. :-P