POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teach yourself C++ in 21 days : Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:44:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions
From: nemesis
Date: 19 Apr 2012 13:14:29
Message: <4f9047f5@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> But as I say, a tiny amount of shell scripting will automate most tasks,
> without the need for Make.

yes.  It's easy to rewrite Make from scratch for your every projects.

BTW, do your scripts handle automatic compilation of only the parts that
were last updated?

> That works great - /until/ your command history has more than one
> command in it. E.g., if you use the same window to run the compiler, run
> the main program, and control your SCM. Then you end up jabbing up-arrow
> endlessly, or executing the wrong command, or both. Very annoying.

ctrl+Rghc
ctrl+Rmain
etc

oh, sorry.  Forgot you use a lameass DOS command prompt...

> (I wonder why nobody has yet thought of making an editor where you can
> add buttons to the toolbar and kind arbitrary commands to them? You
> could even give them keyboard shortcuts...)

emacs can do that.  And any decent text editor allows you to bind some
keyboard shortcut to some command.

>>> Sure, once you take your hands off the keyboard and onto the mouse to
>>> switch from the text editor window to the command prompt window. :-P
>>>

>> As mentioned previously, ALT-TAB. Much faster.
>
> And if in the middle of your coding session, you quickly switch to your
> email client to check something, next time you try to use Alt+Tab, it
> takes you to the wrong window.

it`s much easier when you it all on the command-line. ;)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9