POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon progress report : Re: Gancaloon progress report Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon progress report
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 19 Apr 2012 07:05:48
Message: <4f8ff18c$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Am 14.04.2012 08:48, schrieb Thomas de Groot:

> I think you are right indeed. The opposite shore of the river shows
> indeed more relief than where the city was built which is the only
> relatively flat area. Water may thus also be an issue especially
> considering the North African latitude of the site. In my view, the
> desert is not far off with only a belt of vegetation (much like the
> Nile) on both sides of the river.

A truly intriguing alternate history world (though I somewhat miss the
Persians... is there no expansive Sassanid empire with Yazdegird IV. and
V. conquering most of the Mediterranean, advancing into the Alps and
actively propagating Zoroastrianism throughout Europe?), especially when
it comes to religion...

...but I have one technical question: did you place the city on a flat
or on a spherical world? The latter is a concept with which I toy since
many years, but I think it would be very difficult to switch between
overall geographic and small-scale geodetic positioning...

There is also a whole fictitious world I dreamed up since when I was

German... I hope that my cartographic skills improve in the future so
that I would be able to make that world come alive in POV-Ray!

Currently, I'm occupied with a POV-Ray representation of the real Solar
System (containing POVEarth which in turn contains Khyberspace and
ElectriCologne), thus sidelining the Whatmough project for a while...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar