POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Somewhat unusual : Re: Somewhat unusual Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Somewhat unusual
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Apr 2012 08:44:47
Message: <4f8eb73f$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/04/2012 08:06 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Oh, by the way... Yesterday I bought a violin.

For some background: When I was about ten years old, I was in the school
orchestra. I played violin. (So it's not /quite/ as crazy as it sounds.
I do have /some clue/ what I'm doing.) I played in one school
performance. After that, our music teacher left the school, and
everything went vertically downhill. But never mind that.

The one performance I was actually in consisted of about a dozen players
performing Beethoven's "Ode to Joy". Ah, the memories.

I was originally assigned the first violin part, until our music
teacher, an extremely strict lady, noticed that I wasn't reading the
music, I was merely remembering the tune. Obviously, this is
unacceptable. So I was reassigned to the third violin part. Obviously,
the third part is incomprehensible by itself. It sounds absurd. Only
when played with the rest of the orchestra does it make any semblance of
sense.

The piece begins pizzicato. The only thing I've ever tried to play
pizzicato. It's quite fiddly to pluck a violin while still holding the
bow in your hand. It continues mezoforte. As I recall, there's a 24-bar
rest after that. (Try counting to 24 and not getting bored or losing
your concentration while the other instruments play around you.) And
then as the piece goes on, it gradually gets louder. So you start off
playing really timidly, and gradually you start to open it up. By the
time it gets to double-forte, you're really ripping the strings off your
violin. And then it wants TRIBLE-FORTE! And you're like "Jesus, I don't
even know how to *do* that! Does a violin *go* that loud??"

It took me over an hour to tune my new violin. The tuning pegs just
/will not/ stay still. And every time you tune one string, all the
others go flat. But eventually I managed to get there. And it seems to
be staying in tune reasonably well now.

Obviously, the first thing I did was to try to play Ode to Joy. And let
me tell you, it sounded horrifying. I mean, it sounded /offensive/.
Really nauseating. It was so awfully out of tune, it hurt.

I've only spent a few hours playing my violin, but now I've reached the
stage where when I play, /most/ of the notes come out roughly in tune.
Apparently I still have it. :-D Still sounds awfully scratchy. Then
again, the bow is utterly wrecked. And I was never very good in the
first place...