POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teach yourself C++ in 21 days : Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Apr 2012 03:58:09
Message: <4f8e7411$1@news.povray.org>
On 17/04/2012 05:07 PM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> For a start, F# is functional in the same way that C++ is
>> object-oriented. I.e., not very. F# is a normal OO language with a few
>> slightly functional ideas bolted on the side as an afterthought.
>
>    When will we see the Haskell# language?

Well, a while back somebody did do a Haskell to .NET bridge for their
PhD thesis.

(A /bridge/ is of course not the same thing as compiling to CIL. The
Haskell stuff runs as normal, it's just that it can "talk to" stuff
running on the .NET platform.)

Naturally, being a PhD thesis, it's proof-of-concept, not
production-grade. And, I would imagine, no longer maintained. (Not that
I suppose the /code/ was ever publicly released. The /thesis/ was, but I
don't know about the runnable code.)

In a similar vein, one of the experimental Haskell compilers has a
JavaScript back-end. As in, you write your Haskell program, compile it,
and you get (several KB of) normal JavaScript which will run in any web
browser. Again, not exactly production-grade, but interesting.

I think somebody somewhere once had a Haskell to Java compiler. (Or,
more likely, a "small subset of Haskell to Java compiler".) Highly
unfinished, of course.

Perhaps it would make an interesting research project... Maybe I should
look up how either Java bytecodes or the CIL works, and write some code
to target it.

Naturally, being able to run on either the JVM or the CLR wouldn't be
interesting unless it's also simple and easy to access the existing
class libraries. And that's another interesting project.