POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teach yourself C++ in 21 days : Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:34:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Apr 2012 15:26:59
Message: <4f8dc403@news.povray.org>
scott escreveu:
> If Haskell had a decent IDE and easy documented access to the rest of
> the system I might consider using it.  But then F# exists already and I
> haven't paid much attention to that so far...

IDEs are only really useful for OO languages.  You know, you have a
variable holding an instance of a class, then you type "." and get a
list of methods available... no such thing in functional programming
where the order is reversed:  you have a function and want to apply
arguments to it.  You may list arguments that match that function
definition and you may even know their types (assuming "intellisense"
got type inference), but most likely you're not directly applying those
arguments to the function, but applying some other function to it first.
  It sounds too much of hassle to use "intellisense" in those situations...

I fear IDEs are really only useful at getting away with lesser
languages' weaknesses, AKA boilerplate cruft to make the compiler happy.
  In Java, most of the IDE is used not just for that but also to handle
all the xml needed, since it's the only DSL known to java-heads...

so, all that would seem to rest of usefulness for an IDE is project
management.  Here too it proves pretty useless as it's only really
needed to manage huge bloated projects full of boilerplate and xml.