POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teach yourself C++ in 21 days : Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Apr 2012 11:55:57
Message: <4f8d928d$1@news.povray.org>
On 17/04/2012 04:49 PM, scott wrote:
>> If there ever comes a day when Haskell ships out of the door with
>> top-quality libraries for doing most or all of the things that a typical
>> developer would want to get done, then maybe Haskell will start to
>> become popular.
>
> The problem is that F# exists already, and I guess you wouldn't call it
> "popular" in the way that you would like Haskell to become. So Haskell
> would need to become, in some way, superior to F# in order to become
> popular.

Haskell is /already/ superior to F#. ;-)

For a start, F# is functional in the same way that C++ is
object-oriented. I.e., not very. F# is a normal OO language with a few
slightly functional ideas bolted on the side as an afterthought.

But in all seriousness: Haskell will never be popular. Writing clean,
maintainable code just isn't a high priority. Bashing out code as fast
as possible is a high priority. Producing six point-releases per
calendar month is a high priority. Being paid per LoC is a high
priority. Nobody will ever want to use Haskell.

Still, at least if Haskell shipped with decent libraries, *I* could
still enjoy using it. :-P