POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Teach yourself C++ in 21 days : Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Teach yourself C++ in 21 strange malfunctions
From: scott
Date: 17 Apr 2012 10:30:50
Message: <4f8d7e9a$1@news.povray.org>
>> I think you need to be working with very specific types of problems to
>> warrant using Haskell, which isn't to say nobody uses it.
>
> What, you mean like programs involving complex data manipulations?
> Problems where you want to actually get the correct answer? Problems
> where you'd like to be able to still understand the code in two years'
> time? Because, to me, that sounds like a pretty /huge/ problem domain. ;-)

Give a specific example then, of a real commercial problem where
selecting Haskell would be the best choice.  I'm not saying none exist,
just wondering exactly what type of software problem Haskell would excel
at. Presumably it's not making a 3D game or an application that is
mostly GUI.

> It's sad, really. You can use C or Java or whatever, which is horrible
> to code in but lets you actually get stuff done. Or you can code in
> Haskell, which is a joyful celebration of how programming should be, but
> then it's a nightmare to actually interact with the outside world... I
> keep hoping that some day this situation will be fixed. But I doubt it.

In the end companies that are trying to make money will just use
whichever system lets them solve the problems as quickly as possible.
This results in all manner of different languages being used (even
Haskell!).  But I think the reason you imagine C++/Java/C# being so
popular is that the huge markets of software don't match with Haskell.
Desktop software needs a familiar GUI and easy documented access to
APIs.  Apps for phones need good access to hardware (and usually the OS
maker has chosen a language for you).  Games need high performance and
good access to hardware APIs.