POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : tone mapping in povray : Re: tone mapping in povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tone mapping in povray
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Apr 2012 10:30:30
Message: <4f8adb86@news.povray.org>
On 15-4-2012 14:35, Florian Siegmund wrote:
> Something is bugging me. Namely the question why there's spent so much time in
> improving radiosity, sslt, photons etc. while an essential thing is still
> missing in my eyes. You can use the best radiosity and area light settings and
> end up with a render that is still looking somewhat artificial.
> Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a fact that povray has always suffered
> from a linear lighting model?
> My eyes are longing for a little bit of non-linearity :)
> And I don't think it would be that hard to implement into the main program. As
> far as I know Megapov has such a feature, called 'tone mapping'.
> I found out a way to simulate this in the official version, it's a bit dirty but
> it works for me.

Interesting. When I used MegaPOV I standard used the tone mapping
utility. Your little trick works well and allows to play with the
overall tone of the rendered scene. Makes colours deeper. Curious to
read what the experts have to say about this ;-)

As I was playing around with some LOTW landscapes, I tried it out
immediately. Upper image is not tone mapped, lower image with exponent
0.7. Rendered in version 3.7 RC5; LOTW scene file and includes adapted
to 3.7 use.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lotw 34_18_var_tonemapping.png' (1221 KB)

Preview of image 'lotw 34_18_var_tonemapping.png'
lotw 34_18_var_tonemapping.png