POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon progress report : Re: Gancaloon progress report Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon progress report
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Apr 2012 02:48:48
Message: <4f891dd0$1@news.povray.org>
On 14-4-2012 0:45, Alain wrote:
> I may put my guess here: On the oposite shore, the ground may be
> somewhat unstable, to rocky, sandy, acidic, alcaline,... and thus have
> discouraged peoples from establishing themself in that area.
> In such cases, it's probably used mainly as pasture ground with very
> sparse to no constructions.
> It's also possible that there is no easy access to fresh water.

I think you are right indeed. The opposite shore of the river shows
indeed more relief than where the city was built which is the only
relatively flat area. Water may thus also be an issue especially
considering the North African latitude of the site. In my view, the
desert is not far off with only a belt of vegetation (much like the
Nile) on both sides of the river.

Thomas