POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon progress report : Re: Gancaloon progress report Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon progress report
From: Alain
Date: 13 Apr 2012 18:45:35
Message: <4f88ac8f@news.povray.org>

> I have not yet decided about the other shore. There probably will be a
> watch tower on the summit, as there will be a light house on the island
> offshore. However, for some reason no city developed on the other side.
> In fact the fortifications are mainly for prestige, especially since the
> Turks took over a couple of centuries earlier. Threats from the Punic
> population in the west have mostly disappeared. In future, the Mongols
> will appear but that is outside the scope of the Tale ;-)

I may put my guess here: On the oposite shore, the ground may be
somewhat unstable, to rocky, sandy, acidic, alcaline,... and thus have
discouraged peoples from establishing themself in that area.
In such cases, it's probably used mainly as pasture ground with very
sparse to no constructions.
It's also possible that there is no easy access to fresh water.

> Thomas

Alain