POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Meet your maker : Re: Meet your maker Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meet your maker
From: scott
Date: 13 Apr 2012 11:32:16
Message: <4f884700$1@news.povray.org>
> By the way, don't you love it when you buy something, and people want
> you to "insure" it for "only" £££ per week? Like, I bought this crystal
> sculpture for £100. They asked me about insurance. The price? A one-time
> payment of £90. You know what? I declined. :-P

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that these companies must be
making money from such schemes, ie they get a lot more money than they
ever have to pay out.  Over your lifetime you'll be much better off
financially if you always refuse such offers.

The only time you should take insurance is when you wouldn't be able to
afford to pay if it got lost/broken.  ie you should insure your house
because you likely couldn't afford to rebuild it if it burnt down, and
you should insure yourself whilst driving because if you crash into 10
other cars and/or seriously injure someone you probably couldn't afford
to pay for the damage you caused.

> I thought the idea what that you notify your insurer, and they talk to
> the other guy's insurer?

Exactly, and then if everyone agrees it wasn't your fault, you claim for
the costs to repair your car against the other party's insurance policy.
  They lose their no-claim bonus, you don't.

 > At any rate, the guy didn't speak English, and
> last I heard they were unable to locate him from the extensive details I
> passed on.

Oh, so it's not resolved yet then?  How come your premium went up?

>> Protected no claims
>> doesn't mean your premium won't go up if they think you are higher risk.
>
> No, that's /exactly/ what it's supposed to mean. It means "if I make a
> claim, I won't lose my discount". Yet clearly, my premium has gone sky
> high...

LOL, as you found out protected no-claims means just that, it does not
mean protected-against-any-premium-increases.  Refer back to the first
paragraph in this post...

> Take heart though. Santander quoted me £1,700 for the same cover. (!!) I
> wasn't paying /that/ much before I passed my frigging driving test. :-P

You always get ridiculous quotes from companies that aren't interested.
  Last time round I think I got quotes ranging from £600 up to £3000+
when I used confused.com.