POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Git : Re: Git Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Git
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Apr 2012 04:07:31
Message: <4f87dec3$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/04/2012 05:22 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/11/2012 6:37, Invisible wrote:
>> OTOH, if you do this with Darcs, you keep the file history, since Darcs
>> tracks individual files, not entire repositories.
>
> Git deduces this, which is the right way to do it, methinks. Darcs can't
> *really* tell if this file came from that file. It can only record what
> you told it.

I have repository A, which contains file X. I have repository B, which
does not contain file X. I pull all the changes relating to file X from
repository A into repository B. Now B contains X, and all its history.

If I do this with Git branches, then on branch B, a file named X
suddenly shows up, but there's no record that it was actually copied
from branch A. It just records what's /in/ the file.