POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Meet your maker : Re: Meet your maker Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meet your maker
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Apr 2012 03:57:39
Message: <4f87dc73@news.povray.org>
>> I tell you what, if somebody even managed to pull that off in the first
>> place, even if they only made one single usable CD, I'd still be pretty
>> impressed. :-D Yeah, that ain't gonna be cheap though. ;-)
>
> It's actually quite an interesting problem. What is the cheapest way to
> manufacture: a) 1 CD, b) 100 CDs, c) 10000 CDs, d) 1000000 CDs. You can
> do the same for cars, circuit boards, bikes, organs, whatever.

The cheapest was to manufacture 1 CD is obviously to pay somebody else
to do it.

As far as I know, it's impossible to manufacture a CD in your basement.
You need cleanroom conditions and equipment that can operate at
literally microscopic tolerances. It's not like you can just buy that
kind of thing off the shelf. Heck, just buying equipment for moulding
plastic isn't exactly easy. And then you've got to buy the plastic.
Sure, somebody somewhere must sell this stuff... good luck finding them!