POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon progress report : Re: Gancaloon progress report Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:30:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon progress report
From: Alain
Date: 12 Apr 2012 16:36:29
Message: <4f873ccd@news.povray.org>

> Thomas de Groot<tho### [at] degrootorg>  wrote:
>> Slowly making progress on Gancaloon. Embedding older or wip scenes like
>> The Jackal area. Also I have decided on a geographical location.
>>
>> In the master scene, here, I have added SunPos.inc which enables me now
>> to give realistic Sun heights according to date of the year and hour of
>> the day. This image shows the town in April at GMT 16:20 hours. I have
>> not yet decided if I shall correct for time zones. I probably will in
>> order to use local time.
>>
>> Thomas
>

> Thomas,
>
> I love the landscape and your integration of your structures into the model.
> I've worked with POV for almost 15 years and still struggle with landscapes.  Do
> you have a posting of the technique you used to lay out the roads and place the
> town buildings?
>
> I have three military concerns...
>
> The first is the amount of land area enclosed by the city wall and the small bit
> that is occupied by the town.  Is it your intent to fill in this with more
> structures?  The entire town population would be needed to man just the towers
> on this wall.
The wall have a big disuasive effect, especialy if most of the time you
only need to wory about some unorganised raiders.
It also secure fields from poachers and wild animals.

> Second, the port seems to be small and well defended for such a small area.
> Profits from the docking fees must be extremely high.
It may be more for the city's prestige than actual defence... Also, the
coast on the sea side is not inviting for all but small skiffs and
fishing embarcations.

> Third, it appears your town is inside a bay area with a fortification on the
> town side, how come you don't have a similar fortification on the opposite
> shore.  Defending the bay would open up the entire space and give more room for
> the ships to enter, dock, trade and improve the economic position of your town.
>
> Also, based on the city sky-line, your town is occupied by a bunch of heathens
> with no places of worship or praise.  Perhaps the fortifications are their
> masters???
In the Gancaloon world, many religions are extinct and the judean ones
did not even realy start. The jews are still only a handfull of errant
tribes without any kind of importance...