POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Meet your maker : Re: Meet your maker Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meet your maker
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Apr 2012 09:24:40
Message: <4f86d798@news.povray.org>
>> Now, explain to me again, *how* can Fiat afford to buy Ferrari??
>
> Errors in your above assumptions:
>
> Volume car makers are generally on about 5% profit (Fiat had 3% in 2010)
> More expensive brands can generate 10% profit (eg BMW/Daimler etc.)
> Ferrari made 15% profit in 2010

Now, do you mean "the company made 15% profit", or do you mean "each
time the company sells 1 car, 15% of the sale price is profit"?

Really? You can buy an actual Ferrari for that amount of money??

> The development cost for designing and testing a car is HUGE

Well, yes, anything safety-critical usually has very large design and
test costs. (If you think cars are expensive, try developing drugs for a
living...)

Presumably the cost of testing a cheap car is exactly the same as the
cost of testing an expensive car though.

> Manufacturing costs are way cheaper per car if you are making 2 million
> rather than 5000 a year.

As I understand it, set-up cost is usually very large. So if you
manufacture more units, the set-up cost is divided between more units,
so the /per unit/ price is lower. Presumably the actual set-up cost
itself is identical in both cases.

There are things like CDs which cost virtually nothing to manufacture,
but still cost a lot to set up. So the set-up cost is virtually the
entire cost. I'm not sure that analysis applies to cars though; they're
vastly more complicated to manufacture, and they also contain /metal/,
the most expensive material known to man...