POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Universal Turing Machines : Re: Universal Turing Machines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Universal Turing Machines
From: Warp
Date: 11 Apr 2012 05:13:03
Message: <4f854b1f@news.povray.org>
> On 4/9/2012 1:12, Warp wrote:
> > Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
> >> A Turing machine can decompress a representation of an MP3 file into a
> >> representation of where the speaker would be at each given moment, but it
> >> can't actually play the music.
> >
> >    I don't understand what that has to do with solving a problem. It sounds
> > to me like you are using a fallacy of equivocation.

> If the problem is "I want to know what song this is" or "I want to listen to
> some music", then you haven't really solved the problem.

  Why would pattern recognition or playing music be unsolvable in a TM?

  If you are talking about abstract problems (those which fall more under
the purview of philosophy) rather than problems that can be represented as
a program, you are committing a fallacy of equivocation (namely, you are
using two different meanings of the word "problem").

  My original question was: Are there *provably solvable* (in the mathematical
sense) problems that cannot be solved with a TM. (If you can prove them to
be solvable, then it kind of implies that you can present algorithms to
solve them.)

> If the problem is "I have a TM program and I want to know what to put on the
> tape of my UTM to run it", you can't solve that with a turing machine. :-)

  Is it a provably solvable problem? If yes, then why cannot it be solved
with a TM?

--
                                                          - Warp