POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seems like nothing has changed : Re: Seems like nothing has changed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seems like nothing has changed
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Apr 2012 04:24:02
Message: <4f853fa2$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/04/2012 08:49 AM, scott wrote:
>> that and since Povray 3.7 has not been released yet
>
> It looks close now though

Really? I thought all development work had stopped years ago...

> GPUs seem so fast and capable now, a POV type program that takes full
> advantage of that would be awesome. Imagine being able to edit your SDL,
> have it parse instantly and look around the fully path-traced scene in
> real time, adjusting your SDL until it looks just right. Productivity
> would be orders of magnitude better than how POV works at the moment.
> With standard hardware available today that is (just about) possible, in
> the coming years (surely before POV4 is released) even for large complex
> scenes it will become possible.

What you're talking about amounts to a complete rewrite of the entire
program. Only the SDL parser would remain unchanged. Plus, I'm pretty
sure all the trippy real-time GPU renderers we've seen only render
polygons, not true curved surfaces - which, let's face it, is the entire
*point* of using POV-Ray.