POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Universal Turing Machines : Re: Universal Turing Machines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Universal Turing Machines
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Apr 2012 20:49:23
Message: <4f84d513@news.povray.org>
On 4/9/2012 1:12, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> A Turing machine can decompress a representation of an MP3 file into a
>> representation of where the speaker would be at each given moment, but it
>> can't actually play the music.
>
>    I don't understand what that has to do with solving a problem. It sounds
> to me like you are using a fallacy of equivocation.

If the problem is "I want to know what song this is" or "I want to listen to
some music", then you haven't really solved the problem.

If the problem is "I have a TM program and I want to know what to put on the
tape of my UTM to run it", you can't solve that with a turing machine. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"