POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monitor sizes : Re: Monitor sizes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monitor sizes
From: Alain
Date: 10 Apr 2012 13:37:38
Message: <4f846fe2@news.povray.org>

>>> /Windows/ doesn't support it? Or just that every 3rd-party
>>
>> Maybe it's just so clunky for devlopers to support it they don't bother?
>
> I don't know. I haven't looked into this sort of thing. I thought there
> was a "change DPI" setting somewhere in the control panel, but I've got
> no idea how various programs would react to that.

There is. Display properties, Advance button, general tab.
Defaulted to 72 DPI in win 9x and 2000.
Defaults to 96 in Windows XP and probably Vista. Can be set to a
"standard" 120 DPI or an arbitrary custom value.
The main problem, is that many applications' display will break down if
you increase the DPI setting past 96. Some web page layout will also get
broken if you change your DPI setting. That's why using absolute PIXEL
values is realy bad.

A viable solution is to sellect the apearance tab and increase the point
size of your characters. That won't affect the graphics elements but
will make your text large enough to be read.
Selecting a good high readability font also help.

Alain