POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monitor sizes : Re: Hardware sizes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hardware sizes
From: scott
Date: 10 Apr 2012 12:08:23
Message: <4f845af7$1@news.povray.org>
> Perhaps it's because I don't work in that sort of industry. All this
> sounds kind of abstract to me. I don't see how going to 10x is "harder"
> than going to 2x. I'm not saying it isn't, I'm saying I don't understand
> why.

Short answer: Go and research how ICs are made.

Long answer: Think of something you could teach yourself to make (eg an
origami bird or something) and imagine making those and selling them.
Now consider how hard it would be to make them 2x smaller, a few folds
might be a bit tricky, but you'd probably manage after a few tests.  Now
consider if you had to make them 10x smaller, suddenly some folds might
become impossible unless you use tweezers or something, you might need
to buy different paper, change the design slightly, it is going to take
orders of magnitude longer to teach yourself how to reliably make them
repeatedly, and while you're doing that you're not making the bigger
ones so you're not getting any money.

If you instead started making the 2x smaller version and got happy with
that, you could then go 2x smaller again, maybe having to make 1 design
change.  At each step you have far fewer problems, if you try and jump
10x or 20x you're just going to give it up because it won't work and you
won't be able to figure out why.

> 30 years ago, cars could do 70 MPH. Today, cars can do 70 MPH. As far as
> I know, there's little to no improvement in acceleration either.

The problem with speed is that for most people buying a car, price and
economy comes before top speed, and especially in most countries it's
illegal to drive much above 70 or 80mph.  So obviously car companies
have concentrated on keeping price low and reducing fuel usage rather
than top speed.  But then saying that, if you want to you can easily buy
a cheap family car that will comfortably go well above 100 mph without
shaking itself apart - how many cars could do that 30 years ago?

> Expensive cars were always faster than cheap cars, but other than that,
> not much change in three decades. Braking is the only thing I can think
> of which might have improved; we have ABS now.

All the other things I mentioned too, particularly MPG is the main one
that is top of most manufacturers list of things to improve.

> Cars do seem to have more "gadgets" now than they used to. Once upon a
> time, if you wanted electric windows, you'd have to buy a luxury sports
> car. Today it's hard to find a car /without/ electric windows. I'm not
> sure how or why that happened, BTH.

Same for air-con, electric mirrors, information displays, immobilisers,
CD players, navigation etc.  All stuff starts out on the
top-of-the-range models and works it way down to standard on the
cheapest ones.