POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Privacy Myth : Re: Privacy Myth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Privacy Myth
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Apr 2012 16:05:30
Message: <4f81ef8a$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/8/2012 8:59 AM, Darren New wrote:
>> Instead of even an attempt at a smart solution, what we get is clients
>> that
>> hide the routing information, and let the scammers add
>> "http://www.wellsfargo.com/accounts" to the "mouse over" for all the damn
>> links, so that you either a) copy and paste that (it doesn't copy the
>> real
>> address under it), and end up at the legit point, of you click the
>> link, and
>> end up at "wells.fargo.scam.robyoublind.ru". In other words, the ***EXACT
>> OPPOSITE*** of better security, and threat identification.
>
> None of which has anything to do with where email originated from.

Well, no, but its part and parcel to the same bloody problem of figuring
out what you are looking at, and who sent it. If you can't tell who the
real sender was, you can't tell what route it took to get to you, and
all "visible" signs of where the links in it point to seem to be places
that you expect them to, if it was real... Basically 100% of it is
stacked against you. If you are lucky, your ISP has a halfway decent
filter, if you are not, you may be screwed.

Its gotten to the point where, if a company actually has a legit reason
to contact you, with anything other than product advertisements, you
can't trust it, unless its a phone call, or they provide an "on their
site" method of messaging you, and even then, someone could scam you by
saying, "The is a new message for you at Blah.com, click here to log in
and read it.", and your still screwed. Using email doesn't require
healthy paranoia anymore, it requires the real world equivalent of
locking all the doors, and hiding under the bed, until the guy knocking
goes away, then going around to every place that might have sent someone
to talk to you, personally, to see if they sent someone to do so. Or
worse, yelling at the legit guy from the phone company, because he is
wearing the wrong color shirt, and your neighbor warned you that someone
wearing that color shirt was robbing houses (the equivalent of the
filter falsely marking something legit, and not letting you even look at
it, to make sure). After all, the guy claiming to be from the phone
company might have intended to rob you... And, that is just a bloody
nuts way to live, yet its how we have to deal with anything "official
looking" in email, if the filters don't trap it, or they do, and
shouldn't have.

It annoys the hell out of me. Heck, Firebird just did it to me today,
and don't even know why the hell it marked two messages from blogs as
spam, other than that its a bit more convoluted to tell Firebird, unlike
Hotmail, to leave shit alone 'period', if it comes from certain email
addresses.