POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What has Darren been working on at Google? : Re: What has Darren been working on at Google? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What has Darren been working on at Google?
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Apr 2012 00:53:42
Message: <4f7a8256@news.povray.org>
On 4/2/2012 16:01, nemesis wrote:
> cool! So that's why you were fighting titanic, dynamically-generated
> makefiles for! Better adwords...

They're not really dynamically-generated makefiles. :-) They're a
*replacement* for dyanmically generated makefiles.

> all of it C++?

This project is Java. Of course, there's about 9 layers of abstraction
underneath it, including Java compiling to javascript, protobufs compiling
to java, protobufs compiling to C++, protobufs compiling to Haskell (for
some bizarre reason), C++ dynamically generating Java code, etc etc.

> way to go, dude! Of course programmers stink at UI, score for Google for
> realizing that.

No, other programmers coded the UI, just not me. And we have a guy sort of
designing the UI in photoshop.

This of course is just the first phase of the project, but I'm counting it a
huge success. And there was cake.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"