POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do we need The Onion for anymore? : Re: What do we need The Onion for anymore? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:26:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do we need The Onion for anymore?
From: Warp
Date: 1 Apr 2012 07:19:56
Message: <4f7839dc@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> There is no shame to
> be different as long as not stubborn to insist on strict equality for
> all: you should done as much as you can for others, and nobody should
> despise another one.)... alas, there is no more place in todays world
> for duel when two disagrees.

  Moreover, trying to shield people from hurt feelings by imposing a
form of newspeak can be actually more harmful than good.

  In human biology, extreme hygiene, especially on children, can actually
be more harfmul than good in the long run: The immune system does not get
exposed to the harmful microbes of the world, and thus doesn't build up
resistance to them. If this continues for long, especially on young people,
such a person can become very weak to diseases that normally people wouldn't
even notice, or would only cause small symptoms.

  I believe the same is true of the mind: If you never get exposed to
unpleasant ideas and words, if you are raised in a protective bubble where
you are shielded from ever hearing them, when you do finally encounter
them in real life, you may get emotionally scarred.

  This is especially true for people who deliberately *choose* to consider
some things negative that most people deem as completely normal. If they
*choose* to deliberately get offended by what's normally considered ok
than that's *their* own fault. They do not get to dictate what words others
can and cannot use.

--
                                                          - Warp