POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tale of two cities : Re: A tale of two cities Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tale of two cities
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Mar 2012 23:56:50
Message: <4f640b82$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/16/2012 12:38, Warp wrote:
>    I think you are talking about system resources. A program may use other
> resources than simply system resources.

Like what?

> The quintessential example would be if you wanted to implement a
> copy-on-write mechanism.

That hasn't anything to do with finalizers. In advanced systems, that sort
of stuff isn't something you write in the application code, either, any more
than worrying about taking things out of the B-tree is something a SQL
programmer worries about when deleting a row.

And yes, at IBM, when they were working in NIL (the precursor to Hermes),
they ported a large and complex system from a single machine implementation
to run on a distributed hot-failover cluster changing nothing but the
compiler, just like you could with SQL code.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)