POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Attempt at realistic skin textures : Bump Mapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Bump Mapping
From: clipka
Date: 15 Mar 2012 15:54:00
Message: <4f6248d8@news.povray.org>
Am 16.02.2012 15:46, schrieb clipka:
> Am 14.02.2012 08:53, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>
>>> Don't worry about it: You can't get it right anyway, due to a known
>>> problem with POV-Ray's implementation of UV-mapped image-based bump
>>> maps. Unfortunately, fixing it isn't exactly trivial.
>>
>> Ah? Interesting to hear this. I hope (I know!) you will find a solution.
>
> My last attempt to fix it came at the cost of scrambling all
> non-UV-mapped bump maps instead, for reasons I didn't quite understand :-P
>
> But be sure I'll try again; it's one of the things that currently bug me
> most about POV-Ray.

Okay, here's a quiz to all of you: Please describe the surface structure
of this thing. Are those dimples or pimples? (Hint: The light comes
almost straight from the camera position.)

(Rendered with POV-Ray 3.7.RC5 using a  plain old non-uv-mapped
bump_map; POV-Ray 3.6 gives the same results.)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'bump_map_types.png' (470 KB)

Preview of image 'bump_map_types.png'