POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tale of two cities : Re: A tale of two cities Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tale of two cities
From: clipka
Date: 14 Mar 2012 12:05:36
Message: <4f60c1d0@news.povray.org>
Am 14.03.2012 16:37, schrieb Invisible:

>> And then you'd also expect MS to give away VS for free (the real thing,
>> with the tools to write the real powerful software, not just crappy
>> hello world stuff), yet for some reason they don't.
>
> Um... So how is the pro version actually different from VS Express?

Last time I checked (though I must confess that's years ago) one
difference was that the Express editions had quite limited flexibility
regarding the project settings, to an extent that I didn't even bother
trying them out further.

>> I think there's another reason why VS is so good. I'm convinced they're
>> not trying to make it easy for /anyone/ to write code - they're trying
>> to make it easy for /themselves/. And make extra money by selling the
>> toolset.
>
> Quite possibly. ;-)
>
> Then again, Valve released their editing tools, and (from what I hear)
> they are really, really hard to use...

Maybe that's because the development cycle in game engines is faster
than that in general-purpose programming languages, so it wouldn't have
paid off to develop better tools?

Remember that VS has been developed over how long now? Two decades?