POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tale of two cities : Re: A tale of two cities Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tale of two cities
From: clipka
Date: 14 Mar 2012 11:24:30
Message: <4f60b82e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.03.2012 10:55, schrieb Invisible:

>> There's nothing "incorrect" about that way of placing braces, even in
>> C++. It's syntactically correct, so say what you will.
>
> Writing the entire program in one source file on a single 435,235,342
> character line is "syntactically correct". But no sane programmer would
> ever do such a horrifying thing. :-P

And not every compiler need to support such a horrifying thing.
(According to the C++ spec, the maximum number of characters per source
line is up to the implementation, but the recommended minimum for that
maximum is 65536.)

>> Anyway, I personally stick to IDEs developed by software development
>> companies (and I mean companies that develop other stuff besides
>> programming languages and IDEs). So far the best IDE experience has been
>> Visual Studio for C#. One might snarl at the company's marketing
>> strategies, but they seem to know what helps software developers to be
>> productive.
>
> I don't know about "what helps software developers to be productive"...
> How about "what makes software developers buy our product rather than
> somebody else's"? Or even "what makes software developers develop for
> our platform rather than somebody else's"? ;-)

Seriously, I'm pretty sure MS uses Visual Studio themselves in-house. In
a serious number of seriously large projects. Knowing that every second
a programmer is busy ranting about the development tools is one second
that costs money.

> The entire MS business model fundamentally depends on getting everyone
> to use the MS platform, and then be locked in. Well, if your platform
> has naff-all software for it, nobody will buy it. But if your platform
> has all the best stuff, people will pay. And then be trapped. So it pays
> (literally) to make it easy for people to write code for your platform
> and only your platform. >:-D

While it is an open secret that MS' business model is centered on
locking in their customers wherever they can, this approach of "make it
easy for people to write software for your platform, and your platform
will have the best software in existance" wouldn't fly: Making it easy
for people to write code for your platform doesn't necessarily mean
they'll produce /good/ software for it. You're also bound to get a lot
of crap besides.

And then you'd also expect MS to give away VS for free (the real thing,
with the tools to write the real powerful software, not just crappy
hello world stuff), yet for some reason they don't.

I think there's another reason why VS is so good. I'm convinced they're
not trying to make it easy for /anyone/ to write code - they're trying
to make it easy for /themselves/. And make extra money by selling the
toolset.