POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tale of two cities : Re: A tale of two cities Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:29:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tale of two cities
From: clipka
Date: 14 Mar 2012 10:24:26
Message: <4f60aa1a@news.povray.org>
Am 14.03.2012 10:26, schrieb Invisible:

>>> (Last time I looked at Java, all anyone ever used it for was pointless
>>> Tic-Tac-Toe applets. Nobody ever wrote actual large applications with
>>> it, just small toy examples.)
>>
>> You've never heard of Java enterprise application servers, have you?
>
> I've heard of them - but I have no idea what the hell they are. Last
> time I checked, "enterprise" refers either to NCC-1701-D, a galaxy-class
> starship of the United Federation of Planets, or to a piece of software
> which is pointlessly over-engineered, over-complex, over-priced, and
> sold by pushy over-paid salesmen in bad suits.

It's essentially a framework for companies to code business logic.
Complete with mechanisms for transparently referencing (and accessing)
data objects that currently don't reside in main memory (because e.g.
they haven't been queried from the database yet, or they reside on some
different server farm somewhere across the atlantic). Transaction-safe
of course.