POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tale of two cities : Re: A tale of two cities Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tale of two cities
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Mar 2012 05:20:44
Message: <4f6062ec$1@news.povray.org>
>> You know, people say "oh, Java isn't slow". And then this happens...
>
> It's one of the fastest languages on the shootout game.

1. Micro-benchmarks are one thing. Large applications are another.

2. It seems the fastest is actually Fortran. (?!) Followed by C++.
Followed by C. Followed by ATS and ADA. Only then do we get to Java, at
70% slower.

(Mind you, Haskell is sitting there at 180% slower, so...)

>> Also, about this "Windows comes with the .NET libraries". If that's
>> so, then why did I have to wait 20 minutes for it to download .NET
>> when I installed it?
>
> older Windows? anyway, .NET does not count when looking at the memory
> statistcs of a program that uses it. It's "part" of Windows.

> they play dirty.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

The .NET libraries probably show up as shared RAM rather than private
RAM, but they do still show up.

>>> haha, you already new that from the haskellwiki. :p
>>
>> Erm, no... It's a simple question of type inference.
>
> I prefer to leave that to the compiler or interpreter.

Alrighty then.

http://tryhaskell.org/

 > :t ((.)$(.))

:: (a -> b -> c) -> a -> (a1 -> b) -> a1 -> c

Easy.

> Better yet, I prefer not to think of types. :)

A Haskell programmer not thinking about types is like an assembly
programmer not thinking about processor registers. It is nonsensical.

>> I mean, c'mon, it's not exactly a complicated code fragment. It's two
>> function calls.
>
> two function calls that take other functions and return other functions
> and ... well, you get the idea.

Quite. I'm still waiting on the "who the hell writes code like this
anyway?" part.

> BTW, I looked up my post and indentation was fine. But anyway, it's the
> pidigits haskell program at the shootout:

Ah yes. The great language shootout. An elaborate benchmark for
measuring how many hackers are available to work on each programming
language. ;-)

>> Wait - there are open-source Java libs now?
>>
>> (Last time I looked at Java, all anyone ever used it for was pointless
>> Tic-Tac-Toe applets. Nobody ever wrote actual large applications with
>> it, just small toy examples.)
>
> Earth to Andrew, Earth to Andrew! An import message has been delivered:
> this is not 1964 anymore.

Well, given that Java 1.0 dates to 1995, nobody would be arguing about
Java back in the 60s. :-P

> Hint: Apache once was a (patchy) http server. Now it's one huge java shop.

Hint: When anybody says "Apache", they almost always mean "the Apache
web server". Few people seem to realise that the Apache foundation even
/make/ anything else. That's how popular their other stuff is.

> After Microsoft shoved Java away from the desktop, it hid on the server
> (where it shoved Perl away).

It is also news to me that Perl has gone anywhere but up. :-P

>>> says the haskell programmer... :p
>>
>> What? Tab characters are explicitly disallowed in Haskell. :-P
>
> except where needed.

Um, no. If your source file contains any tab characters, the compiler
spits out an error message and refuses to compile it.

> I prefer proper free-form parentheses. :)

OK. So turn off the layout rule. :-P