POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tale of two cities : Re: A tale of two cities Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tale of two cities
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Mar 2012 03:30:57
Message: <4f604931$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/13/2012 21:32, clipka wrote:
> Try Eclipse. Somehow it seems to be the unofficial standard IDE. (Never
> tried it myself in depth though; it has that very special
> Open-Software-Project air about it that somehow makes my skin crawl ever
> since I tried OpenOffice for real.)

It's not only that, but it's also a whole plug-in mentality.

You go to the project explorer with the tree view of your project's classes.
You double-click a class to open it. You type Ctrl-F and start typing the
name of the method you're looking for. What do you think happens? If you
answer "Well, the focus was left on the project explorer because Eclipse is
so modular it doesn't know where to put the focus, so your search string is
in the wrong window", give yourself a cigar. If you continued "... and so
you now have to click *three times* in the class window to change focus,
once to close the search box in the project window, once to put the focus in
the class window, and once to put it in the edit pane of the class window,
and *now* you can type Ctrl-F", you may light your cigar.

> Anyway, I personally stick to IDEs developed by software development
> companies (and I mean companies that develop other stuff besides programming
> languages and IDEs). So far the best IDE experience has been Visual Studio
> for C#. One might snarl at the company's marketing strategies, but they seem
> to know what helps software developers to be productive.

Indeed. Or use an IDE by a group that actually has a CHI/UI expert on board.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)