POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tale of two cities : Re: A tale of two cities Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tale of two cities
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Mar 2012 03:14:07
Message: <4f60453f$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/13/2012 3:11, Invisible wrote:
> just runs the downloader for the /real/ installation program.

At least MS gives you a choice. They do that because you can pick to
download C++, C#, the IDE, and the SQL server, and it'll download just the
parts you need without duplicating them. Plus it downloads the right version
for your OS, etc.

> business. Now, I'm not saying NetBeans is /inefficient/, but swallowing
> 200MB of RAM just because I double-clicked the icon to open the IDE does
> seem /just a tad excessive/ to me.

Only 200? I think the Eclipse at work takes 550M to 600M to start up.

> trying to actually /do/ stuff, the IDE seemed unacceptably unresponsive.

Try Eclipse. Try pasting a comment from one part of the file to the other
making it go "unresponsive" long enough that Gnome asks if you want to kill it.

>  (Apparently there's an Ant
> script somewhere too... whatever the hell that is.)

It's an attempt at improving Make without actually fixing the major problems
with Make.

> Or rather, I'm impressed at the IDE. Implementing array copying as a static
> method on a general utility class? Yeah, /that/ sounds like fantastic OO
> library design! :-P

Wait until you get into the generics, where you do things like turn a list
of Freds into an array of Freds by invoking

   fredList.toArray(new Fred[]{});

i.e., by passing an empty array of Freds to the function in order to pick
the right generic to return. Yes, you actually put an empty array on the
heap simply to pass compile-time type data to pick the right method in a
language that supports generics. Because there's no syntax for
    fredList.toArray<Fred>();

> the program. VS did all of this and more. :-P

Over the weekend, I wrote a program to take a couple CSV files, munge them,
and stick them into some XML I could pull into the tax authority's forms, in
C#.   It was like surfacing from under quicksand to use VS instead of
Eclipse. I hadn't realized just *how* much Eclipse kills me at work compared
to something designed by CHI experts instead of hackers.

I have a big text file with all my Eclipse hates on my desktop, just keeping
track for a good rant some day.

> So there we are. I doubt I'd remember much about the AWT (although, didn't
> they deprecate that in favour of Swing?),

Yes, in spite of promising on day 1 that they'd never do that.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)