POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tale of two cities : Re: A tale of two cities Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tale of two cities
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Mar 2012 11:03:31
Message: <4f5f61c3$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/03/2012 11:33 AM, John VanSickle wrote:
> On 3/13/2012 6:11 AM, Invisible wrote:
>
>> I was eventually able to get the program to produce the correct output.
>> However, it uses the dreaded "new" operator. In particular, it does
>> /not/ use the "delete" operator anywhere. In other words, it leaks.
>
> Good memory management in C and C++ are things you really have to learn
> as you go along. You can probably encapsulate your heap object pointers
> into a handler class, but you probably have some learning to go before
> you're ready to implement that.
>
> I think the best way to go is to decide whether a given pointer
> represents an object that is created on the heap and is owned by the
> pointer's container, or if it just refers to an object that is owned by
> some other container. The owner takes care of deleting its objects
> created on the heap, but otherwise objects get left alone.

Sure. I get all that. The problems I'm facing are technical, not
theoretical. I know what code I want to write, but I don't know how to
use the language features to write that code.

>> (Is it just me? "Net Beans"? It's an IDE. What the /hell/ does that have
>> to do with networking? The "beans" part I kinda get; everything
>> Java-related has to be themed on coffee or coffee beans. But why "net"?)
>
> Apparently Java's developers are focused on its Web capabilities, and
> are trying to emphasize that.

By sticking "net" in the name? Heh, that's like inventing a scripting
language and naming it after Java to try and latch onto its
popularity... Oh, wait. Somebody did that. :-P