POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Boring movies : Re: Hugo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:30:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hugo
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Mar 2012 14:33:15
Message: <4f5bac7b$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/10/2012 11:23, Warp wrote:
>    I thought it's the opposite. If there's a strong focal blur it makes it
> look like a miniature. Like in tilt shift photography.

Sure, but that's because it's a lens effect. I.e., it looks small because
the blur is telling you the camera is so close that the focal length of the
camera is large relative to the picture you're taking of the scene.

Whereas if you see an entire scene that you expect to be a little blurry
farther away, and it's not, perhaps your brain interprets that as "it's all
equally far from the camera/eye, and thus probably smaller than I think."

I'm guessing, btw. :-)

>    By the way, if you write the word "tilt" on google's search field,
> does something funny happen?

Yep. There are dozens if not hundreds of these sorts of things active at any
given time. "do a barrel roll", "gravity", "let it snow", etc etc. And
they're changing all the time. (And sometimes don't work with "instant"
turned on.)

It's fun to be behind the firewall and see the dozens of experiments running
on any given search query.  (Stuff like "if they put in a date and
previously searched for music, include near the top results for the bands
they searched on having concerts in their city near the date they searched
for.")

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)